Portail-en » Ecole de Nancy » artists » A. Finot
:: home

Ecole de Nancy ::

A. Finot

Alfred FINOT
Nancy 1876 - 1946
Sculptor, decorator

Alfred Finot (sculptor) and Henry Gutton (architect), Monument Sellier, 1901 Parc de la Pépinière, Nancy © Ville de Nancy, cliché Dancy Alfred Finot (sculptor) and Lucien Weissenburger (architect), Corbin family funerary monument, 1901 Cimetière de Préville, Nancy © Ville de Nancy, cliché Dancy Alfred Finot, femme au bouquet (Woman with a boquet) Alfred Finot, La soif (Thirst) Alfred Finot, Trois femmes (Three Women)






After an apprenticeship at the Nancy Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Alfred Finot joined the sculptor Barrias’ studio at the Paris Ecole Nationale des Beaux-Arts in 1895. As a portraitist he produced numerous busts and medallions of local figures. As a sculptor he produced several monumental compositions, some commissioned by Eugène Corbin (the high reliefs for the Magasins Réunis and Corbin’s funerary monument) while others were ordered by public subscription (the monument to painter Sellier). His statuettes and decorative objects (vases ink-wells, trinket trays), inspired by Symbolism and Naturalism, were produced as ceramics by the Mougin brothers and at Rambervillers (S.A.P.C.R.), in bronze by the jeweler Séverin Ronga (1857 – 1931), and in pâte de verre by Amalric Walter (1870 – 1959).

His 1909 monument to the painter Sellier can still be seen at the Pépinière Park in Nancy while his sculpted tombs for the Adam (1900), Corbin (1901), Schertzer (1910) and Gillet-Lafond (1925) families can be seen at the Préville Cemetery.

Finot was a member of the Ecole de Nancy Board of Management since 1901.