Portail-en » Ecole de Nancy » artists » L. Guingot
:: home

Ecole de Nancy ::

L. Guingot

Louis GUINGOT
Remiremont 1864 - Lay-Saint-Christophe 1948
Painter, decorator

Emile Friant, Painted fabric by Louis Guingot, Musée de l'Ecole de Nancy






Louis Guingot entered the Ecole des Beaux-Arts and the Ecole des Arts Décoratifs in Paris in 1880. Once he returned to Nancy around 1895, he frequented the local artistic community. As a trained painter he specialized in decorative (Verdun, Vittel, Amiens, Charmes, Nancy) and religious  (Vaubexy, Haraucourt, Jeanménil) public murals. In 1889, he painted a series of eight paintings (in which six illustrate the story of Gargantua) for the Thiers restaurant-brasserie and decorated the portico of the Palais des Fêtes for the 1909 International Exhibition in Nancy. Due to the loss of almost all of his painted murals, his work is only known through old photographs.

As a decorator, he collaborated with René Wiener on bookbindings and developed new methods to decorate fabric, draperies, and plush.

During WWI, he was acknowledged for having participated with Jean-Baptiste Eugène Corbin in the invention of military camouflage.

Louis Guingot was a member of the Ecole de Nancy Board of Management since 1901.